Social Networking Sites

There are many social media sites available for people to use for whatever reason they may seem fir for them. Some of these include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr, and I conveniently have accounts on all of these platforms, and hold varying opinions on each of them.

For starters, Facebook is a great website that gives off the impression as the most popular social media application, almost like an umbrella of sorts when it comes to the types of people I connect with on there. For example, this is the only social media platform in which I accept friend requests with almost everyone I interact with in my daily life, which includes friends, family, coworkers, etc. However, given that fact, I also monitor my posts the most on this social network, given my audience. Facebook is also very useful in terms of running the organization I am a part of on campus, for which I am responsible for marketing. So, Facebook is a wonderful application to use for both personal and business reasons, at the same time.

Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, is another great platform I like to take advantage of when it comes to documenting aspects of my life and looking at others'. It is a friendly, simple network in which individuals may post several pictures or videos on whatever they may choose, however users mostly show tidbits of their experiences. In many cases students will show appreciation for those they cherish on special occasions, give a glimpse into their trip abroad, or just show off a good meal they had. The discover page also allows users to look at posts they may enjoy from accounts they do not follow. This, however, usually results in unconsciously scrolling for much more time than initially intended.

Another form of social media that is quick and easy to use is Twitter. Personally, I made an account on this site when I first received a phone, since I perceived it as an application meant to get short updates on the go. Over time, this perception evolved into a habit that now has me using it on my computer to check the news, read inspiring pep talks from celebrities I favor, or just to read general updates from those I follow, which for the most part are my friends. Twitter, for me, is not necessarily one of the social networks which I frequent, however it is more of a platform to use when wanting to check in on the world.

Finally, there is Tumblr. Tumblr is an interesting blogging site that has many uses depending on how the user chooses to run their page. Some users choose to be sources of support and defenders of mental health, others may focus on their interest, such as traveling or celebrities, and this is all by posting or "reblogging" content. I particularly admire Tumblr for its genuine concern for personal issues, such as mental health and minority rights. For example, if a user searches for something more sensitive, the site will display a message on the entire screen that reads, "Are you okay?", with resources that could be useful for the individual's safety. This is definitely one of my favorite websites to visit, as I personally use it to create a mood/vision board in any particular moment in my life.

To conclude, there are many platforms available to people to take part in this social media revolution we are experiencing in the modern era. Sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr are some of the more popular ones, and personally are my favorite. On the other hand, each network is used differently and allows for segmentations in user experience and interaction with others. There is no single way to use any of these applications, and I think it is great that it is up to each individual user to figure out how they choose their experience to be like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Privacy

Next New Media

Wiki So Far